Skip to main content

What No One Tells You About Breastfeeding

This is very funny and sensitive you know?!

I mean before I had my baby all I knew about breastfeeding was that it was mum and child bonding .

I thought once you had your baby, you just breastfeed them immediately. Well yes, its recommended that you breastfeed your baby during the first hour of baby's life but what you might not know is that most cases there's no milk. What's been produced is a thick yellowish fluid called 'colostrum' for the first few days until the breast milk comes.

Now some mum's like myself gets impatient and even tear up because we want to nurse our babies. That's where we look out for what would boost our milk supply.

Well in my case 'Gulder' beer was suggested which I took second day after delivery and it worked for me. I also took Palm wine and I was lactating.

Other suggestion would be lactating cookies which I'd post the recipe soon on the blog.

Now one thing  that really got to me during my first two weeks of breastfeeding that no one told me, taught me or even emphasized on was "latching".

For the first two weeks of breastfeeding I was in horrible pains as I couldn't get my baby to latch correctly. it was so excruciating that I cried whenever baby cried or was hungry; to think that I had her on exclusive breastfeeding and babies feed roughly every two to three hours.

Not long I got a deep cut that I dreaded putting on my bra or allowing any fabric come close to my nipples .


Long story short after my visit to the hospital and several advises from other mothers and blogs about breastfeeding I learnt how to latch correctly .

Whenever i was ready to nurse I touch baby's nose/lip with my nipple so she'd open her mouth and then I place nipple in.
Google "Latching" for more tips.

Finally I'd want to appreciate all mothers and women all over the world. Making things seem so easy. I mean there came the guilt again, on several occasion i could picture most of the mothers I knew breastfeeding and they didn't seem to be in any pain.


Love ,



LuluXtra.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW I GOT RID OF ACNE So late last year 2015 I had this very terrifying acne experience; I've always been prone to pimple but not like the once that had appeared on my face. At first I was thinking it's due to change of environment since I had just returned from school back to Nigeria, so I prayed they just disappear as soon as possible,  This was somet ime around December 2015; but Instead of my face healing it was getting worse.  Not too long every one I knew became a cosmetologist, offering different advice on what I could do, I read blogs, I fell in love with any acne help product I came across; from scrubbing my face with baking powder, to cleanser and fade out black spots face lotion nothing seemed to be working for me. My Dear I gave up! Gave up applying make up because I felt those color corrector I was applying before and after my foundation were doing more harm than good so I'd purchase another once it's finished.  We've seen amazing wonders of ma...

Getting Hitched

Been Married for Three months traditionally and two months legally and in the sight of God. I tend to see and listen to many single ladies drowl and gush on the thought of getting Married. Now don't get me wrong there's absolutely nothing wrong with that if only it's for the right reasons and with a proper understanding of the word "Marriage". During school days i was opportuned to have several amazing friends who'd gush and fantasies on their dream wedding mostly when they go online and check out videos and stories on some of the top Nigerian weddings via Instagram. Back then for me I wasn't really all blown away by the thought of having a fabulous wedding and what not; I was rather more of a  " I am happy and that's all that counts".  I had my boyfriend then back in school and we were really happy but never for once did I allow the thought of marriage sink in because quote me wrong but I felt marriage would ruin everythin...

Fifteen Things I Would Teach My Daughter

Motherhood is overwhelming . I mean all what I think about is ensuring a sustainable and bright future for my baby girl. For me having a baby girl is like recreating the mini version of yourself and doing anything possible to avert her from making the same mistakes you made and encouraging her to do things you wished you'd have done but was too scared to do. Now that's my truth, I can't say for any other person. Fact is I can't manipulate my daughter's future neither is it right to dictate her life, but here are things I'd love to teach her.  Your Gender Doesn't Define What You Should Do,  Become or Love:  Growing up as a young girl society made me believe some certain things are meant for the male and also for the female; from career choices to hobbies, even as far as to politics, TV shows or entertainment etc.Now this is not a sexist blog but I'd love for my baby girl to know that the things she loves and is passionate about isn't and shouldn...